It is not new news that smoking is bad for you; yet an estimated 45.3 million Americans continue the habit. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, cigarette smoking is the leading cause of preventable death in the United States. However, beyond the fear of death there are other pressing reasons to quit smoking presented by US News.
1) Multiple Health Benefits: Cigarette smoking contributes to many serious health conditions, including but not limited to: heart disease, diabetes, liver disease, infections, cancer, high blood pressure and stroke.
2) Save Money: By quitting smoking, you can save an average of $5 a day. That’s almost $2,000 a year! Quitting smoking can also reduce your life, auto and home insurance rates up to 40%.
3) Mirror, Mirror: Smoking may lead to wrinkles, and not only facial wrinkles. You may see lines on areas of the body that rarely see the light of day.
4) Infertility and Early Menopause: Smoking increases the risk of infertility and early menopause in women. The chemicals in cigarettes kill egg cells, and the timing of menopause is directly affected by the size of a woman’s egg cell reserve.
5) Weakens Bones and Dulls Vision: Smoking raises your risk of osteoporosis by lessening bone density, especially in postmenopausal women. In addition, cigarette smoking slows the healing process of broken bones. There has been a strong tie to macular degeneration and eye disease in smokers as well.
If you are ready to commit to quitting, Saddleback Memorial can help. We are here and ready for you to take part in our Breathe Healthy – Live Happy Tobacco Cessation Classes in Laguna Hills and San Clemente!